The ancient practice of meditation is gaining popularity again in modern times. As this practice goes main stream, more and more people are enjoying its benefits. Derived from the Sanskrit word ‘Dhyana’ meditation means attention and contemplation. It is a practice to help focusing the attention away from everything to achieve a relaxed state of peace and balance. This practice is designed to promote relaxation, develop love, patience and compassion and build internal energy to overcome stressful situations.
One of the reasons for growing popularity of meditation is the scientific research proving its amazing range of benefits and healing properties. It helps a person increase his focus, eliminate negative thoughts and anxiety. Here are some of the popular health benefits of meditation:
– Reduces Stress – Stress is the most common problem of people in present times. Meditation induces a state of relaxation which is helpful in reducing stress and anxiety levels. It restores the emotional balance which will help in enhancing self-esteem, increase awareness and optimism.
– Deals with Chronic Pain – Meditation helps in reducing pain of patients suffering from chronic pain.
– Improves Sleep – It helps in improving sleep quality and cures the symptoms of amnesia.
– Improves Immunity – When the body is relaxed and stress free, the immune system is able to prepare itself to fight against various diseases.
– Provides relief from Blood Pressure and Heart Ailments – Simple daily practice of meditation can help in lowering blood pressure which will reduce the risk of hypertension. Over the time, the heart rate can also be lowered, improving the cardiovascular system. Research has proved that it has helped in managing heart diseases in many patients.
– Improves Concentration – It helps in increasing the strength and focus of your attention. It can help you think better and generate more new ideas.
– Generates Compassion – It can help to increase positive feelings and actions towards others. By practicing meditation, people learn to extend kindness and develop forgiveness.
– Helps in Fighting Addictions – The discipline developed through meditation helps in increasing self control, awareness and breaking dependencies. Research has shown that it helps people in redirecting attention, increase willpower and control impulses. It helps in developing discipline to avoid triggers for unwanted things and fight and recover from addiction.
The importance of meditation can be felt never like before in present times. With routines getting busier and more and more stressful, meditation is a good driving force that can help people cope up with the intricacies of modern lifestyle.